This quilt is something that we have been working on for a while now. (And by we I mean me and my hubby) It was my hubby's idea - he said he would do everything if I would agree to doing the binding. As you can imagine, that's not quite how it worked out. :) While my husband is perfectly able to handle a sewing machine, he also travels - A LOT - which means that while his intentions were good, I ended up doing all the sewing. He was thankfully sensitive to my massive prego belly and the inability to get up and down from the floor easily, and did all the cutting, and laying out and tying. We finally managed to get it finished.
A quick disclaimer - my husband picked the fabric. They are each cute by them selves, but I don't know that I would have chosen to put them together - but it is a picnic blanket, so I guess funky and sporadic works.
The quilt has 24 squares that are each made up of 9 - 5" squares. They are separated by 2" wide stripes and 2" squares at the corners. The quilt ended up being made so that it was 6 squares by 4 squares, because the backing fabric wasn't as wide as they told my hubby it was at the store. We had planned on making it 5x5. The quilt will have grommets in the corners to put stakes through and hold it down with. We tied it with brown red heart yarn.