Friday, June 3, 2016

Sunbonnet Sue Quilt

I'm not sure how it came about that this quilt isn't on here yet - it's been done for awhile, though it was a long time in the making.  These Sunbonnet Sue squares were found in my grandmother's basement in a box labled "great grandma's quilts" with other craft stuff.  We think they were started by my Great, great, great aunt, but we aren't really sure.  The blocks came to me in varying degrees of "done-ness" and I added something to all of them.  I added embroidery to the puff sleeves in addition to what was already being put on the hats, pockets and shoes.  Considering that this was my first quilting endeavor ever, I think it turned out well - I had a professional do the quilting, I just did the applique (which was all turned under and stitched in place, not the more modern method - so I tried to do the rest the same way that she had done them) and the embroidery and the piecing.  So I kinda got started on this when my grandma passed away in 2005 - and I got it finished a couple years ago, so a long slow labor of love - but so worth it!  

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Crochet Dolls

So I've made these dolls for each of my kids - they each got their own doll, supposed to look like them.  I also made a doll for myself.  I've been having a lot of fun lately making doll clothes.  I started with the patterns in the book shown and linked to below, but then I started making adjustments and playing around.  The hair on the boys for starters was my own idea.  I've also done lots of playing around with clothes.  I've got more pictures of outfits I've made for my doll and as I get stuff done, I will post more here.  

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Ninja Turtle Cuddly

I made this fun little pattern for the baby of a friend of mine. She picked the yarn and pattern - I just did the crocheting - but I think it came out really cute!  Sorry for the awful picture - I just snapped a quick one with my phone before taking it over to her.    

She picked cotton yarn (instead of the poly blend that the pattern suggests) and while if you want to be able to wipe up stuff with it - that is a better choice, I think it made it a little harder to make.  The stiffness of the yarn (and this was some of the stiffest cotton I've used) made the amigurumi part tiring to make. When I make this again for my nephew, I will use a poly blend.  

You can find the pattern HERE

Along with a much better picture.  :)

Kai's Quilt

This is the same pattern that I used for Taz's blanket - but with girly colors and prints.   I also machine quilted this myself on a long arm quilting machine.  

I also made a little tiny quilt for her doll to match her own quilt.  

And I made another pillow case to match Taz's pillow case and 2 pillow cases for Kai.