Friday, June 3, 2016

Sunbonnet Sue Quilt

I'm not sure how it came about that this quilt isn't on here yet - it's been done for awhile, though it was a long time in the making.  These Sunbonnet Sue squares were found in my grandmother's basement in a box labled "great grandma's quilts" with other craft stuff.  We think they were started by my Great, great, great aunt, but we aren't really sure.  The blocks came to me in varying degrees of "done-ness" and I added something to all of them.  I added embroidery to the puff sleeves in addition to what was already being put on the hats, pockets and shoes.  Considering that this was my first quilting endeavor ever, I think it turned out well - I had a professional do the quilting, I just did the applique (which was all turned under and stitched in place, not the more modern method - so I tried to do the rest the same way that she had done them) and the embroidery and the piecing.  So I kinda got started on this when my grandma passed away in 2005 - and I got it finished a couple years ago, so a long slow labor of love - but so worth it!  


Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Crochet Dolls

So I've made these dolls for each of my kids - they each got their own doll, supposed to look like them.  I also made a doll for myself.  I've been having a lot of fun lately making doll clothes.  I started with the patterns in the book shown and linked to below, but then I started making adjustments and playing around.  The hair on the boys for starters was my own idea.  I've also done lots of playing around with clothes.  I've got more pictures of outfits I've made for my doll and as I get stuff done, I will post more here.  


Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Ninja Turtle Cuddly

I made this fun little pattern for the baby of a friend of mine. She picked the yarn and pattern - I just did the crocheting - but I think it came out really cute!  Sorry for the awful picture - I just snapped a quick one with my phone before taking it over to her.    

She picked cotton yarn (instead of the poly blend that the pattern suggests) and while if you want to be able to wipe up stuff with it - that is a better choice, I think it made it a little harder to make.  The stiffness of the yarn (and this was some of the stiffest cotton I've used) made the amigurumi part tiring to make. When I make this again for my nephew, I will use a poly blend.  


You can find the pattern HERE

Along with a much better picture.  :)

Kai's Quilt

This is the same pattern that I used for Taz's blanket - but with girly colors and prints.   I also machine quilted this myself on a long arm quilting machine.  


I also made a little tiny quilt for her doll to match her own quilt.  


And I made another pillow case to match Taz's pillow case and 2 pillow cases for Kai.


Sunday, June 23, 2013

Baby Kai's Blanket

My sister just had a new baby and for her new baby girl, I made this beautiful blanket, hat, booties, and sweater set - I really love how it turned out and the soft yarn was wonderful!  I really only made one change to the pattern.  The blanket had fringe on the top and bottom, but I didn't like the raw edge look of the sides - so I added a row of single crochet along the two sides and I really liked the way it looked with that edge MUCH better!  I wish that I had made the had a looser stitch, because it ended up being a bit small for her.  :(  



I got the pattern from a book called "Dressing Up Baby" and I can't wait to try another pattern from the book!  


Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Taz Quilt

I made this quilt for my nephew - his name is Taz and so I thought this fabric was perfect for him!  It's a pattern from Perfect for Precuts Volume 1 and it's called "Flower Show" It was a really easy quilt - easy to cut, easy to piece.  It's a twin size quilt - but it's a very large twin size!   This first photo shows the binding and you can just barely catch a glimpse of the awesome tazmanian devil swirls in the quilting.  I got it machine quilted by Susan Bateman.  I also made a matching pillowcase.  

Most of the prints are a set of fat quarters - but the blue fabric I got online and the orange fabric and green polka dot fabric are from Hobby Lobby


This one shows the pattern a bit better - I hand stitched the binding while on our way down to Texas and barely remembered to take a picture of the blanket before I sent it with my sister!


Sunday, March 24, 2013

Baby Blankets!!!

Well I have a lot of friends having babies - and since (for once) I'm NOT having one too - I am having fun making baby blankets for them! This is the first one I finished for one of my online scrapping buddies - she's having a little boy!



The pattern is from this book - I got it at JoAnn's but if you click the image it will take you to where you can get it at Annie's Attic.  It was a fun pattern to work and the edging was unique in the way it went together.  The only problem I had with it was in the first round of the edging (the round of single crochets that is the foundation for the rest) it has you do 2 more stitches than my math tells me is necessary for the edge - if you follow the directions, you will end up with 502 sc's around the outside - however to work with the rest of the edging (and to avoid pulling out a half finished round because it didn't work out right - and your hair along with it) you need 500 - once i figured that out and made marks all over my pattern to remind myself if I make this again - It was an easy and fun pattern.  Hopefully my friends little boy enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it.  I used Bernat Baby Coordinates Yarn - the boucle type yarn - in blue green and white.  The blanket came out so soft and snuggly!  I think it took 3 skeins..... 


I've been working on lots of stuff and even finished some of it, and maybe I'll get around to getting some of it posted here.  :)